Operating out of a beautiful shared creative space in Melbourne, Nicholson Street Studios, Carla hand-crafts lettering for a range of clients in creative industries, including architecture, food, retail, hospitality, magazines, and conferences.
After studying graphic design at university and six years’ working at some of Australia’s top agencies in Sydney, Carla escaped to Berlin to soak up some international inspiration and nurture her love of lettering and artisan design.
On returning from what she affectionately calls her “Bowie years” in Germany, Carla set up her studio with the aim of bringing a warm, unique, human element to a world dominated by digital fonts and design.
Carla loves slow food, coffee and travel, and has a worrying obsession with finding the world’s best gelati. When not laughing at cat videos on YouTube, she can be found riding her pink bicycle around the backstreets Fitzroy pointing out beautiful vintage lettering to anyone who will listen.
Her love affair with the brush has inspired her to pass on the skill by running regular brush lettering workshops all over Australia with her mentor, former showcard and ticket writer Barbara Enright. In 2016, they successfully launched an online course teaching the skill to hundreds of students around the globe.
Carla banded together with an all-girl lettering group called The Letterettes who pop up at events to create live lettering.
Signage // Editorial & Magazine Lettering // Advertising Campaigns // Social Media Lettering // Live Brush Lettering for Events // Murals for Cafes and Offices
Disney // Mimco // Bank of Melbourne // Menulog // Who Gives a Crap // Frankie Magazine // STREAT // // UniSA // Tiffany & Co. // Campaign Monitor // WIRED Japan // Vogue Girl Japan // GQ Japan // Westfield // CSR Australia // Scribe Publishing // Big Hearted Business // Sensory Lab // Eat Drink Paleo // Spotlight
- Typism Conference, Gold Coast, April 2015
- Red Bubble HQ, Melbourne, August 2015
- Craft as a Career, Craft Victoria, Melbourne, September 2015
- Praise You, Brisbane, August 2019
- Make It Made It, Newcastle, August 2016
- I'd Letterpress the Shit out of That, Melbourne, November 2015
- Frankie Magazine, Issue 73, Aug 2016
- Lettering Tutorial, Jun 2016
- Lettering Hub, Nov 2015
- Typism Conference Wrap Up, Mar 2015
- Frankie Magazine Blog, Jul 2014
- Extra Curricular Magazine, Issue 14, May 2014
- Stolen Magazine, Vol. 2, May 2014
- Frankie Magazine, Issue 59, Apr 2014
- The Bottom Rung by Gabrielle Tozer, Jan 2014
- Creative Women's Circle Title Page Interview, Jan 2014
- Creative Women's Circle Interview, Nov 2013
- Polka Dot Bride, Oct 2013
- Extra Curricular Magazine, Sept 2013